Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I love you truckers

Let me set up the scenario:
You are heading home and you aren't in any particular rush, but on your way you run into construction. Okay, a little frustration sets in and with each rotation of your tires your mph decreases...the stage has been set for a small case of road rage. You've been waiting now for 20 minutes, with no clear reason why. You are far enough away from the construction site that you can't see the cause and then you finally spot it...the inevitable sign:
What does this mean. For me, it means amplified frustration. Why? Because I am a rule follower. When I see an arrow that tells me to move right, I move right. Unfortunately it seems like 75% of drivers see the arrow and think, "I can go a mile more in this lane and then get in front of everyone that has been waiting patiently at the last possible second." With each car that zooms by to the left my aggravation skyrockets. They are the reason we have been waiting in this line for 30 minutes. They are the hold-up, not the construction.

And Then....(Handel's theme from the Messiah playing as you read)

a semi-truck drives up and straddles both lanes. That's right. He's had enough. He's doing what we all were thinking. Thank you truckers. What you did was a beautiful, beautiful thing. Let the road rage shift over a lane :)
Name a time someone elses action made you want to give a serious high-five.

4 comments:

  1. Uhhh, I hate to admit it, but I am sometimes one of the people that rushes ahead and cuts in front...not always, but sometimes!! But I can also relate to what you are saying...I love when truckers do that!!!
    I was with my mom and sisters and we were waiting in a really long line at Kohls for checkout, when this girl just casually walks beside us and then, while we were talking amongst ourselves, she cuts in front of us... I am not one to say anything, but we were all wondering where she came from and what she thought she was doing, so my "not-so-quiet" sister proceeds to ask her what she was doing and she says that she has been there the whole time, and we argued with her telling her that we had been waiting just like everyone else and she should have to also, but she wouldn't budge... well luckily the people that were in front of us told the cashiers that in fact she had not been in line the whole time and they made her go back to the end of the line, which I must admit was pretty long. This happened the day after Thanksgiving with tons of sales at Kohls!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I bet the girl didn't see that coming (the people in front of you speaking up). I agree that is sooo lame....and people seem to do it a lot! I'll forgive you for being one of those people :) Love you anyway! I wish I could be there to help you move!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen a trucker do that! that's wicked awesome. truly beautiful. that's rt 88 right? I saw that consrtuction too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been driving in Europe, haven't you? It seems like all we see are construction slow downs... I too get SO frustrated with the people that zoom down the empty lane and then expect me to let them in when I've been waiting patiently...following the rules!!
    We find that people here are FAR more aggressive than we are used to in queues. If you hesitate for a second they will push in front of you.
    And.. (boy I'm really ranting now)... I hate when you are waiting in a long queue at the supermarket and a new line opens up and the people from the end of the line rush to it... Shouldn't the cashiers indicate that the people who have been waiting the longest should get to go to the newly opened checkout??
    I do miss you so Mrs. Styles!

    ReplyDelete